Introduced in 1947, the Advance Design series pickup was the first major post-World War II truck redesign by GM. Many of the redesign features could be seen as early as 1942 , as a part of Harley Earl’s GM Styling Section, including headlights integrated into the front fenders, tall hood, and the split windshield. Being billed as a bigger, stronger, and a sleeker design, the 1947 Chevrolet Advance Design truck featured a gas tank filler neck on the passenger of the bed. The truck also excluded the vent windows in the doors featured on previous models. The grill featured five horizontal bars topped by a hood ornament with a blue bow tie and Chevrolet lettering. The hood side emblems read “Chevrolet” atop a “Thriftmaster” or “Loadmaster” emblem. The truck’s three different serial numbers for the 1947 Advance Design pickup included the EP 1/2-ton (3100), the ER 3/4-ton (3600), and the ES 1-ton (3800). The ¾ ton trucks, as well as the 1 ton trucks, received the same new styling but had a longer wheelbase and bed.
The cab and fenders on the 1947 Advance Design pickups were the same color. Vehicle options for the 1947 Chevrolet Advance Design included rearview mirrors, a heavy-clutch, double acting rear springs, wide running boards, oil filter, cab rear corner windows, and various tire options. 1947 was also the first year that GM offered radios as an “in-dash” option.